Pathways to Proficient Reading
Pathways to Proficient Reading and Virtual Community of Practice
PA ACT 48 Credits or Certificates of Attendance Offered (30 hours)
3.0 Graduate Credits Are Offered at Select Universities
Pathways to Proficient Reading Virtual Community of Practice
Additional 10-Month Virtual Community of Practice (VCoP) - To help educators extend the benefit of the 5-Day Pathways course the AIM Institute for Learning & Research offers a Virtual Community of Practice to help educators apply the skills learned through professional training opportunities in their classrooms.
The VCoP will convene for one hour (time TBD) on the first Thursday of every month from September through June (10 meetings in total) using an online platform to hold meetings and to store the community’s readings/pre-work/recordings. All participants will be required to have access to computers and have high-speed Internet access.
The VCoP will help participants:
- Deepen their knowledge related to the science of reading and for how to teach students based on the 5 pillars of reading instruction outlined in the National Reading Panel Report (phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension) as well as the RAND Report on Reading Comprehension
- Deepen their knowledge on how to translate the research into practice for coaching others to apply the content learned from the Pathways to Proficient Reading course
- Develop relationships with members within their CoP cohort
- Build a common language focused on the science of reading
- Participate in developing their individualized professional learning plan outlining follow-up training and opportunities for continuing education
- Increase preparedness for the KPS certification
- Learn More
Target Audience: This course is designed for educators who teach reading and/or are involved in decision-making regarding literacy instruction. It will benefit those who are committed to learning about connections between the science of reading and effective instructional practices and is designed to meet the needs of:
- Novice teachers and practitioners interested in becoming more knowledgeable and skilled to increase expertise in the area of literacy.
- Experienced teachers and practitioners, including administrators, literacy coaches, and curriculum or instructional leaders, interested in revisiting and expanding their knowledge base to become more expert.
- Teachers and practitioners who are participating in varied professional learning opportunities to prepare for licensing and certification exams (e.g., K-PEERI Certification Exam).
For more information on this professional development offering, please contact Karen Keesey at 215-483-2461 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Very informative and I especially like when activities are incorporated that show us how to directly translate the skills to the classroom. - 2017 Pathways to Proficient Reading Participant