Nancy Hennessy-Guided Book Study
A Deep Dive into Comprehension Instruction
A Unique Author-Guided Virtual Book Study with the Nancy Hennessy, M.Ed. Exploring The Reading Comprehension Blueprint: Helping Students Make Meaning from Text
Learning is the work of not only of students but also the work of educators. Effective
professional learning engages participants in a continuum of learning opportunities. Acquiring
and applying knowledge and skills requires an iterative process that includes interactions with
others. This 7-month structured book study, based on the science of reading, creates a unique opportunity
to increase expertise by engaging in thoughtful reading, conversations and sharing of insights
with colleagues led by literacy expert and author Nancy Hennessy.
Required Text: The Reading Comprehension Blueprint: Helping Students Make Meaning from Text (Brookes Publishing, 2020) Save 15% Using Details In This Special Offer
12 CEUs Available
- Develop a deeper understanding of the complex nature of comprehension.
- Examine a blueprint or framework for designing and delivering informed comprehension, and instruction based on developing critical contributors e.g. vocabulary, syntax, inference, text structures.
- Review evidence-based strategies and activities for each contributor and application to student text.
- Identify and discuss connections and potential application to current instructional practices.
Participants: General & Special Educators, Specialists & Administrators K-8
BOOK STUDY CALENDAR - November 2020-May 2021
Wednesdays 7:00-8:30 PM ET
- November 4, 2020 - Dimensions of Skilled Reading & Viewpoints on Comprehension
- December 2, 2020 - The Blueprint for Reading Comprehension
- January 6, 2021 - The Blueprint for Vocabulary
- February 3, 2021 - The Blueprint for Syntax & Sentence Comprehension
- March 3, 2021 - The Blueprint for Text Structures
- April 7, 2021 - The Blueprint for Background Knowledge
- May 5, 2021 - The Blueprint & Developing Levels of Understanding and Inference
- May 26, 2021 - The Blueprint Making It Work
Guided Study Format:
Sessions will be recorded for limited use with original registered participants only.
Get Ready Activities: Prior to each session, participants will receive a structured note-taking guide that poses questions intended to support the reading of each assigned chapter.
Webinar Sessions: During each virtual session, the author will facilitate discussion based on identified chapter topics and responses to the structured guide. All will be asked to participate, share current practices and surface additional questions. The author will also share thoughts related to the chapter contents and respond to questions posed by participants.
Follow-Up Activities: Participants will be asked to complete & share responses to brief activities based on the reading of selected chapters and application to individual roles.