Pathways TO LITERACY LEADERSHIP
SUMMER PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
for WISCONSIN EDUCATION LEADERS
Pathways to Literacy Leadership is designed for educational leaders who are committed to learning about the connection between reading research, theoretical models such as the Simple View of Reading and Scarborough’s Reading Rope, and best practices for language and literacy instruction in schools. The educational leaders will create a culture of research-based literacy instruction within their school/district by developing and implementing an organizational vision around student literacy proficiency.
- Leaders will examine the training, coaching, and support afforded to their teachers and the degree to which those opportunities align with IDA’s Knowledge and Practice Standards for Teachers of Reading.
- They will evaluate and procure curricula, materials, and assessments that align with the science of reading.
- In addition, they will investigate the essential building blocks that are necessary to implement a structured literacy framework, including how to design an effective literacy block.
- Leaders will work with fidelity tools to assess the instruction in the classroom to ensure that teachers implement evidence-based instruction with fidelity to meet the diverse needs of all students.
- These same tools will also be used to empower leaders to oversee the collection and analysis of data to ensure that instruction and intervention drive significant growth in students’ reading proficiency through an effective Multi-Tiered System of Supports (MTSS) model.
- At the end of this professional development opportunity, you will be able to draw from your specialized knowledge in the science of reading to increase your students' literacy outcomes through evidence-based diagnostic/prescriptive literacy instruction and intervention.
- And we will help you build a literacy plan for your district or building.
- Completion of the online Pathways to Literacy Leadership course is estimated to take approximately 30 hours, depending on the participant's background knowledge in the science of reading.
Pathways to Literacy Leadership
This course is appropriate for Superintendents, Assistant Superintendents, Principals, Directors of Special Education and Student Services, Directors of Curriculum and Instruction, and ESU Leaders.
- Online Orientation
- Completion of 10 asynchronous learning sections (approx. 30 hours) (See Detailed Syllabus)
- Participation in four 90-minute synchronous coaching community of practice sessions where you will work on a Literacy Plan for your organization
- Pacing Guide/Schedule for Course Work (See Schedule Below)
- Completion of pre and post-knowledge inventories
- 12-Month Access to the AIM Pathways Platform so materials can be reviewed, applied and accessed in the classroom when needed
Wisconsin Summer Course
June 1 - August 9, 2022
Funding for this course for up to 30 Wisconsin leaders is made possible by the generous support of an AIM philanthropic donor.
Please contact Cindy Hadicke, Director of Client Success and Implementation at firstname.lastname@example.org